Fresh Basil Pesto Recipe with giant pasta shells
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves, packed
- 1/2 cup freshly, finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup toasted sunflower seeds
- 2 medium sized garlic cloves, minced
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Giant pasta shells (precooked)
1. Heat fry pan and lightly toast sunflower seeds. Remove from heat.
3. Combine the basil, roughly chopped garlic and the sunflower seeds, pulse a few times with blender.
4. Slowly add the olive oil in a constant stream while the blender is on. Stop to scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add the grated cheese and stir until blended. Add salt to taste and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
5. Put some pesto in each shell for everyone to try.
Each week as part of the Foodweb Education program a finger food style recipe using fresh ingredients from the school garden is prepared by a group of about eight students under adult supervision during a one-hour session and is shared with the rest of the class in the garden at the end of the session.